Tuesday, September 2, 2008

$1.10 per hour

I went down to San Diego for Labor Weekend weekend to surf, have a big reunion with my parents' friends, and have a garage sale. My parents remodeled their house last year and had a bunch of extra junk lying around so they offered my brother and I to have a garage sale to get rid of the stuff, and we would keep all the money we made. They said we could make a few hundred bucks a piece. Good deal, I thought. We spent the night before getting the goods (uhhh, not that good) prepared and driving around and putting up signs.

We got up early to a gloomy morning, put the stuff out on the driveway, and waited. And waited. We practiced throwing a football lefty and I'm good at that now.

We had a total of 5 lookers and 3 buyers. After 2 hours I sent T to see if the goodwill was open so we could call it a day and donate the rest of the stuff, and while he was gone someone came and basically tripled our income.

The total: $11
Split 2 ways: $5.50 each
Per hour: $1.10

My mom bought 2 bagels and a coffee ($6 total) to make change, and we used about a gallon of gas ($4) between the coffee shop and the Goodwill drop off place for a net gain on the day of roughly $1 US dollar. That's even worse than my writing payout (below).

No comments:

Post a Comment